Most important news stories of the week
- Intel has announced the full lineup of Skylake CPUs for desktop and mobile
- will replace current Broadwell chips.
- Goes all the way from 91w K-Models (Core i7) to 4.5w Core M Y-models where Broadwell launch was mostly dual core laptop chips
- 500 series integrated graphics with native 4k support
- Alpine Ridge chip for Thunderbolt 3 support
- Amazon, Netflix, Google, Microsoft, Mozilla, and other have formed the Alliance for Open Media
- Aims to develop next generation video format
- New Codec will be royalty-free and published under an Apache 2.0 license.
- Designed to be interoperable and streamable
- will have option for content encryption
News about iOS, Macs, Apple TV, Apple watch, etc
- KeyRaider Malware has stolen over 225,000 Apple IDs
- Spread through Jailbreak store Cedia repositories from Weiphone
- found by Security Researchers Palo Alto Networks
- company has a fix on its website
- Does NOT affect mainstream non-jailbroken iDevices
- New agreement between Apple and Cisco
- Cisco will optimize their networks for iOS devices
- will also integrate the iPhone with Cisco enterprise environments
- Cisco is a dominant player in Enterprise network hardware
- will also work to integrated voice to integrate business iPhones with employee desk phones
- Best of luck Ian and thanks for all you did.
- Your reasoning is your own.
News About Google and Android
- New round Samsung Gear S2. Still runs Tizen
- 2nd Gen Moto 360 in 46 & 42mm sizes. Thinner & more powerful starting at $299
- New rugged Moto 360 Sport with GPS and sunlight reflecting display
- Zen Watch 2. Starts at $129, 1.63” and 1.45” sizes
- Hauwei watch. New premium watch in 6 variants.
- Google has also announced Android Wear support for iOS 8.2 and above using an app.
- New third Gen Nest
- Thinner body with large Farsight display
- automatically detects you and activates the display
- additional temperature sensors in box
- can detect issues in your HVAC system (coming to older nests via and upgrade)
anything that doesn’t fit above
- New Mirrorless Camera from Canon
- 24.2mp APS-C CMOS sensor
- uses EF-M lenses or EF & EF-S with adaptor
- Wi-Fi and NFC
- comes in Body only or 18-55mm kit.
TV, Web, and Comics
If something happened in hollywood or print, talk about it here.
- Hulu has added $11.99 ad free option
- still includes first run network programming
- company also signed a multi-year content deal with EPIX after similar deal with Netflix expired
- includes newer movies from Paramount, MGM, and Lionsgate Including Bond, Star Trek, TMNT, Hunger Games, and more
- deal with start October 1
- content will come 90 after pay TV content begins.
- Amazon Prime video will offer offline viewing of video
- works with both iOS and Android apps
- feature originated on the Kindle Fire
- Includes the UK, US, Austria, and Germany
Cars, Planes, Ships, Rockets, ETC
- We pretty much all want one.
Each brings an item, app, device, show, etc they want to talk about