Most important news stories of the week
- Rite Aid Blocked NFC Payments last October
- Part of MXC Consortium for the CurentC Payment system
- Company announced that it will accept Apple & Google Wallet on August 15th as well as Android pay when it launches.
- Multiple CurrentC members have announced plans to offer other NFC including Best Buy and Target
- New simplified plan choices
- Small = 1GB for $30, Medium 3GB for $45, Large 6GB for $60, an X-Large $80 for 12GB. $15 per overage GB.
- shared with up to 10 devices
- $20 connection fee for smartphones, $10 for tablets, $5 for connected devices
- Not available with 2 year subsidized contract. Full price for device or payment plan only.
- a ruling by a British High Court overturned copyright exceptions
- the exceptions were implemented last year by British Government
- ripping CDs or importing music into iTunes library is now again illegal.
- While a crime, it is one that the UK government has never prosecuted anyone for.
News about iOS, Macs, Apple TV, Apple watch, etc
- ZeoBIT, the developers of questionable cleaning program MacKeeper have lost a class-action lawsuit
- Will create a $2 million fund, but not admit wrongdoing
- customers who paid for the software before July 8th of 2015 are eligible for a refund if claimed by November 30th
- ZeoBIT sold MacKeeper to Kromtech in 2013.
News About Google and Android
- Sergei Brin and Larry Page have started a new holding company called Alphabet
- Page will be CEO and Brin President
- New company will own Google as a wholly owned subsidiary and assume all Google shares
- Google will be refocused with some business units like X-Labs spun out under the Alphabet umbrella
- Google product chief Sundar Pichai will become new Google CEO
- full extent of Alphabet restructuring not yet known
- BMW also own a company called Alphabet and they are exploring whether the announcements infringes on their trademarks
- Google has announced support for Vulkan
- Vulcan is a low level graphics API from the Kronos group
- Meant as a successor to OpenGL
- Similar in function to Apple’s Metal and DirectX 12
- Google has not said what release this will be part of
News Microsoft Products
- Windows RT devices will not receive Windows 10 update
- Instead will receive Windows 8.1RT Service Pack 3
- Will launch in September
- will see a Windows 10-like Start menu and updates to the Start Screen.
- exact changes are still a mystery
- Lenovo has announced 15” P50 and 17” P70 mobile workstations
- optional 4k UHD display
- Powered by Skylake Xeon E3-1500M v5 CPUs
- E3s are typically unchanged from consumer Core chips except for ECC memory support
- up to 64GB of ECC memory and 1TB of PCIe SSD storage
- First device to feature Thunderbolt 3 using the new USB-C connector. One or two ports
- will ship in Q4 starting at $1499.
TV, Web, and Comics
If something happened in hollywood or print, talk about it here.
- CBS found that Millennials do watch TV, but in different ways than older generations
- Between 65-70% of Millennials watched their TV via traditional broadcasts compared to roughly 85% of Gen X and over 95% of Baby Boomers
- Computers, Smartphones, and tablets made up approximately 1/3rd of Millennial views
- Data does not say how programs views on TVs via set top devices are counted
- CBS currently only network that does not offer programming via Hulu
- offers CBS all access for $6mo.
- service works on Roku, but not Apple TV, Fire TV, or Android TV
Each brings an item, app, device, show, etc they want to talk about