Most important news stories of the week
- Thunderbolt 3
- PCI-E 3.0
- 40GBps throughput, 4 times faster than USB 3.1 or Thunderbolt 1
- Uses USB Type-C connector and backwards compatible with USB-C devices
- 100w of system power and 15w for bus powered devices
- 8 Displayport lanes for twin 4k displays at 60hz on a single port
- Official support for external graphics cards
- 10 Gig ethernet and Thunderbolt peer to peer.
- Coming with Intel’s Silverlake platform
- Include new Iris Pro 6200 or P6300 (xeon) integrated graphics
- 65w for desktop cpus and 47w for mobile
- replacement called skylake planned for fall.
- AT&T will begin phasing out traditional contracts at retail partners like Apple and Best Buy
- will instead favor NEXT payment/ upgrade plans.
- part of a shift started by T-Mobile
News about iOS, Macs, Apple TV, Apple watch, etc
- Apple will sales will expand to Italy, Switzerland Mexico, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, and Taiwan
- will go on sale in store and online
- Will go on sale at US Apple stores in approximately two weeks
- at that time backorders will have been fulfilled
- Space Black Stainless steel with link bracelet still backordered.
- Vintage Apple I was dropped off at a recycling firm in the Bay area
- Recycling firm sold the machine for $200k
- they are offering the owner half the sale price, $100k
- Owner did not give her name, but it was in her garage
- First HomeKit devices have arrived.
- include Ecobee 3 thermostat, Elgato Eve sensors, hubs, and smart plugs
- Can also use 3rd generation Apple TV to control homekit devices remotely.
- Requires iPhone running iOS 8.1 or later.
News About Google and Android
- some additional details were released on android pay
- Can use pin code, pattern, or password in addition to the fingerprint sensor.
- Tokenization is done through the cloud instead of a secure element. Limited number of tokens on phone.
- Includes a rewards program
- Under “My Account”
- Centralized security settings for YouTube, Maps, search, etc
- Allows you to try Security and Privacy checkups
- also new privacy site at privacy.google.com
- Samsung SM-G9198
- High End Android Flip Phone
- 4.6” screen
- Snapdragon 808 cpu
- 16mp rear and 5mp front cameras
News Microsoft Products
- Windows 10 will release July 29th
- Windows 7 and later will get free upgrade
- $119 Home, $199 Pro edition
- Microsoft has bought 6Wunderkinder
- Maker of to-do list app Wunderlist
- adds to list of popular mobile apps that Microsoft has acquired including Sunrise Calendar app and Acompli which became the new Outlook
- Microsoft promises no changes for now
anything that doesn’t fit above
- Keyboard maker Typo has come to a settlement with Blackberry
- will discontinue keyboards for devices smaller than 7.9
- Typo was backed by TV host Ryan Seacrest
TV, Web, and Comics
If something happened in hollywood or print, talk about it here.
- Showtime streaming service
- Just called Showtime
- Premium network owned by CBS
- Competitor to HBO; doesn’t require subscription
- Cheaper price than HBO at $10.99 opposed to $14.99
- Starts in July with limited Apple exclusivity
- 30-day free trial when signing up on an Apple device
- Netflix began testing pre and post-roll ads
- only on Netflix original programming
- will display is specific test markets
- no firm plans to add ads to mainstream netflix anytime soon
Each brings an item, app, device, show, etc they want to talk about
- Most Complete Site for iOS MFi controllers and games.
- Calendar and Reminders by Flexibits Inc.
- Adds Apple Watch app and glance.
Thanks for watching see you all next week.